This tutorial shows how you can install Oracle Virtualbox 5.1.12 On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / 14.04 LTS and Linux Mint.
Virtualbox available for Multiple operating systems (ie) windows,Solaris,MacOS-X and Linux
Changelog in virtualbox 5.1.12
- VMM: fixed VERR_IEM_ASPECT_NOT_IMPLEMENTED Guru Meditations with certain Linux guests if KVM paravirtualization is enabled (5.1 regression)
- VMM: fixed VERR_VMX_UNABLE_TO_START_VM Guru Meditations under rare conditions
- GUI: prevent a crash under certain conditions if the VM is terminated very early
- GUI: fixed certain keyboard capture issues (5.1.10 regression; Mac OS X hosts only)
- GUI: fixed dragging guest windows in seamless mode with the keyboard captured (X11 hosts only)
- GUI: fixed a problem where the new version detected dialog was covered by the appliance import dialog (Mac OS X hosts only)
- Storage: fixed NVMe reset processing when doing rmmod nvme; modprobe nvme in a Linux guest
- Storage: fixed creating a snapshot when the VM is running and an NVMe controller is present
- Storage: fixed a problem with the LsiLogic SCSI controller where requests could be lost with SMP guests
- E1000: fixed “cable disconnected” issue (Mac OS X guests only; 5.1.10 regression)
- E1000: fixed “TX unit hang” issue (Linux guests only; 5.1.10 regression)
- Parallel ports: fixed port enumeration on Windows host
- API: don’t crash when sanitizing certain VM names
- Linux hosts: automatically disable asynchronous I/O on Linux 2.6.18 kernels as high I/O load may trigger kernel oopses on these kernels if this feature is enabled
- Linux hosts / guests: Linux 2.6.28 compile fix
- Linux hosts: compile Linux 4.9 compile fix
- Linux Additions: warn the user about a known bug with older Linux guests (e.g. Debian 7) requiring manual work to get 3D working.
- Linux Additions: fix the graphics driver build with Linux 4.10 and later.
- Windows Additions: fixed a crash in the WDDM driver under certain conditions
Two ways for first time installing Virtualbox on Ubuntu / LinuxMint / ElementaryOS
- Method 1: Via PPA
- Method 2: Via deb file
Method 1: Via PPA
Step 1:Add the Packages list to sources.list
$sh -c “echo ‘deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian ‘$(lsb_release -cs)’ contrib non-free’ > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list”
Note : LinuxMint and elementary OS users have to replace the name manually in place of $(lsb_release -cs).
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add –
wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add –
Step 3: Update the Repository
sudo apt-get update
Step 4: Install Virtualbox 5.1.12
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-5.1
Method 2: Via deb file
If you are not comfortable with the PPA for installing the Virtualbox ,then manually download the deb file and install it.
dpkg -i virtualbox-5.1_5.1.12-112440-Ubuntu-xenial_amd64.deb